New Piece - "Dream State"
"Dream State" is the first piece made for TRAVIS II. It is semi-improvised. Different sound processes were mapped to each of the four strings, as well as different parameters for the visuals.
I re-printed the fingerboard to be as short as possible. I also added an undercurve to the header piece. However, I still found the fingerboard to be slightly too high and asked Aaron to shave off a bit from the ebony piece. He did that, plus added a small piece of wood for support. I found that this not only strengthens the fingerboard, but also makes the violin sound better and cuts out the majority of the buzzing that was happening before on certain notes. Now I am only getting buzzing on first finger, G string (A).
I also shortened the wires and added a clamp to keep the wires down and away from the bow.
3rd time's the charm...
Had another mess up with soldering the shield. But I got it! I found that the front end still needs pressure in order to work the best. But the Arduino case is snug enough that it provides that pressure. Also, it’s not quite perfect because sometimes the FSRs are a little jittery when they are at rest, and they should not be like that. However, I can fix that in Max because I was previously having the same problem with the Softpots and the MKR (for some reason the Lilypad was fine).
Welcome to the TRAVIS blog!
If you would like to see a summary of my work, please click here.