Cutting the Last Cord!
My wireless Xvive U2 has arrived! I can now play and dance circles around our dancers! I have noticed that with the way the transmitter folds over, if it is pointing towards where the Arduino sits, then it will rattle when I play. But if it is turned in any other direction it's fine. I actually tried unplugging both the transmitter and receiver and shook them in my hands. There definitely is something rattling around inside both of them, but I think they're ok. I also bought a mini travel router so there would be a stronger wifi connection for my Arduino. I just pray that there are no wireless issues between now and Bang! Festival.
Score! (Slam dunk...! Home run!)
I finished notating "Colour of the Birds' Cries". I also discovered you can add emojis in Noteability Pro! It's so awesome!
I also ripped through every possible combination and ordering for setting up all my equipment and connecting the Arduino to Max. I could not find the reason for the connection issues the life of me. Then randomly during rehearsal the arduino did not connect at all. But the light was blinking saying that it was connected. It completely baffled me, so I opened the original Arduino to Max patch (not the bpatcher). I discovered that an external object [MRaverage] was randomly not loading properly, so it blocked the data! I was 100% within my file search path, so there is no reason why Max would have problems finding it. I have copied the object file and pasted it in more folders, as well as added the individual subfolders to the file preferences, so that my patches would for sure find at least one of the copies.
I normally use the Arduino to Max patch as a bpatcher, and the majority of the times when the connection failed it was in a performance/presentation situation, so I did not have the time to open up the original patch and look at the code. I also always assumed it was some sort of wifi connection error, and I have never seen my patches have issues with finding [MRaverage] before. It's also an oddity that this happened on two separate computers with two different file search paths; one of which already had [MRaverage] downloaded and working long before I started borrowing it. Also, whether it would load or not was completely random and inconsistent. And every other time I had opened the original patch to work on it, [MRaverage] had loaded properly, so it never occurred to me that something inside the patch could have been the problem. Especially since I've lived with extremely horrendous wifi for my entire childhood, so I always automatically think of wireless connection problems first. It's a fluke that takes a 1 in a million chance to catch. But at least I found it now!
Update: while [MRaverage] was a definite issue, I now have an inkling of doubt that it was not the only reason. See above post.
I presented TRAVIS in MURC 2018 today. It went really well and I won the Interdisciplinary Award! I also got to see many other oral presentations and posters from various fields. I am so grateful that UBC has such a wealth of diverse knowledge to share.
ICICS News: http://icics.ubc.ca/news-events/
I had noticed something about the arduino wifi connection while setting up. However, I later proved it to be false. In order to not make this blog post long, I have pasted my summary of my troubleshooting here.
The top of the old box was warping a bit and caused the Arduino to rattle and buzz with playing. I asked Jin to 3D print me a new box to keep the Arduino more secure. The top is thicker and it is bolted down in all four corners, plus the one in the middle. I also stuffed the battery into a sock and sewed the top. Buzzing is now down to a minimum while playing on the G string. I doubt it would be noticeable to the audience in a performance setting. I think there is another cause that is no longer related to the box.
Welcome to the TRAVIS blog!
If you would like to see a summary of my work, please click here.