I decided to finally get around to replacing the wires on TRAVIS I so that all FSRs work. I am also slowly working on a duet for both TRAVIS violins, so now is a good time to make sure that both are in tip top shape. I replaced the wires with silicon ribbon wire, so hopefully it won't get damaged as easily as before. It's also black, so it blends in better and is aesthetically pleasing. I wish I could do the same for TRAVIS II, but for that violin I need 16 wires. The most that comes with the silicon wire is 10. I also finally re-printed TRAVIS I's MKR case lid in black filament. I also printed the same clamps as TRAVIS II's design for the FSRs and to hold down the wires away from the strings, so I'm no longer using a clip on the MKR case.
Before I started I tested the ribbon wire with the Lilypad. During this process, the Lilypad died completely and no amount of resetting helps. This makes me sad. I also don't want to spend more money on a new Lilypad since the only one that works is one from China that takes months to ship. RIP original wired prototype. You served well.
Re-soldering was terrifying. I didn't want to replace the softpots yet, because they're still working fine. (although dust is accumulating under them and the added height is making the strings buzz. Maybe I should change them soon anyways...) So I had to remove the strings and place a mat on top of the violin to solder. Taking off all strings of any violin family instrument is scary because usually what happens is the sound post collapses due to the loss of string pressure (guitarists usually fall into this trap when changing violin strings for the first time). However, with a strange twist in fate, that didn't happen when I was working on TRAVIS II. So I thought I would take the chance with this TRAVIS I maintenance, and take it in to Aaron if it did collapse.
Well, it didn't collapse. One disaster averted. The next terrifying thing was soldering so close to wood, and on a wobbly surface. And the pins of the softpots kept moving because I couldn't clamp them down. It was difficult. It took a while. I hope to never repeat the experience. But it's done and TRAVIS I is now looking extra sexy.
Welcome to the TRAVIS blog!
If you would like to see a summary of my work, please click here.