In addition to repairing my original circuitboard for my Lilypad, I also made an entirely new one. It was tricky because the tip of the soldering iron that I was borrowing really needs replacing and the perfboard I used has connections grouped in twos. Whereas my original circuitboard had many more holes per grouping. Also, there weren't enough connections on the top of the perfboard, and lots of extra space on the bottom. So I have extra wires to bring those 5 top connections down to the bottom. I chose this perfboard because it already had holes in it for the screws, and it was fairly small, so there would be less to saw off. While having less space on top made it a challenge for soldering, physically it makes it fit in the box much more easily than the original circuitboard.
Before soldering my original circuitboard to the Lilypad, I decided to test the velostat again. Back when it was Christmas Eve, I could only test the changing voltages with a volt meter because at the time I didn't have any other arduino board to test with. I found that I could get data if I connected the strings to ground, and data and voltage to the velostat. However, there was no data with any other combination for hooking it up (weird!). This will inform my future research because I originally thought it might be easier to make the whole fingerboard covered in the resistive material, have it be connected to ground, and the voltage and data come off the strings. But it looks like I'll have to chase after my other idea instead.
For this test I used one of my other crap violins. I didn't want the teeth of the alligator clips ruining the strings on my other violins.
Leave a Reply.
Welcome to the TRAVIS blog!
If you would like to see a summary of my work, please click here.