I did a few things. First was the JST connectors arrived, so I figured out where it should go for the strings. I didn't solder them yet though. Second was even more troubleshooting issues with the strips…
I spent the past week or so focusing on mechanical issues rather than electrical. I’ve been printing lots of strips because of it, but not testing them. Now I think I have figured out a good relationship between the strips and the fingerboard, so I am testing the resistance again.
One problem is that superglue insulates the header. Too much glue and I lose the connection. I think I developed a way to get it right, but only after accidentally messing up the D and A strips. I tried soaking them in rubbing alcohol and in nail polish remover, it didn’t help.
My solution was to first take a soldering iron and press down on the header for about 5 sec so it would sink deeper into the hole. Then I made a cup of hot water and dipped the end into the cup. After that I squeezed the edges so that the header would be wedged in. I added superglue to the outside in order to provide support to the edges. It doesn’t look pretty, but it works.
Then… the above method only worked with the D strip and I ended up ruining all of the headers with superglue anyways...
Welcome to the TRAVIS blog!
If you would like to see a summary of my work, please click here.