We drilled a hole in the box that will hold the arduino and mounted it on my violin via one chin rest post. Due to the length of the head of the bolt, I had to use the 4 height setting of the Wittner mount so that way the bolt does not dig into the violin. I found that since the box is light, one post is enough. This is great because it means instead of sticking the FSR's directly onto my violin, I can use a piece of wood and mount the FSR's on with the other post. It is also a really good thing that the box is easily detachable because the violin does not fit in its case with the box attached. This affects how I will later hook up all the necessary circuitry because I'll need it to be able to easily and quickly assemble and disassemble.
I had measured how far I can place the 200mm soft pot along the fingerboard without the open string hitting it. It actually goes a lot farther back then expected. If I was in first position on the G string, my 2nd finger first hits it in between a Bb and a B. I believe this makes placing the 150mm soft pot along the side of the neck arbitrary, so I have ordered another 200mm and will have two soft pots placed under my strings.
I had also tested the the soft pot's and FSR's data coming in on adjacent analog petals. There is no bleeding of data from the soft pot into the FSR like there is when two soft pots are hooked up to adjacent petals. There is something about the FSR that grounds it better. This means that I will hook up my sensors in the following order: soft pot, FSR, soft pot, FSR.
Welcome to the TRAVIS blog!
If you would like to see a summary of my work, please click here.