Every time I think I'm just one more step away from finishing the physical side, something else comes up. I hot glued the LED strip to the inside of the ball. It's actually a lot harder than it look to put the ball together with the LEDs attached without accidentally pulling apart the connection for the LEDs in one spot. I should have made that spot's wires much longer. I worked around it by adding an extension to that one joint. I didn't want to ruin the hot glue and pull the LEDs off the ball to lengthen the wires.
I used scotch tape to temporarily tape the FSRs into place. When I tried to plug everything in, I realized a few things. The wires are much messier in real life than what I imagined. It was much more difficult to plug in everything and I should have gotten a hamster ball that opens on both sides. I should have oriented the USB connector towards the opening. I should have added a battery switch to the circuitboard.
So I unplugged everything and took out the circuitboard and added a switch for both batteries. It would still be difficult to switch the ESP9266 from being plugged into one battery to the other though. I plugged in the USB cable and I think once I go wireless, I'm just going to stuff the cable into the bottom of the ball.
Next I'll see if there really isn't anything else I can do to clean up these wires, then I'm going to attach the FSRs for real. Then go back to working on making all the other sensors wireless.
I will also have to test if the paint chips can slip under the 3D printed stand easily. Campus has now come much closer to a complete lockdown due to covid-19... yay... so I'm definitely not going to 3D print ever again until I can get my own printer. :(
If the stand is too tall, I'mm have to sand it lots, and if it's too short I'll add something like sugru to it to lift it up.
Here is where I blog about my progress with my Masters thesis. It is in no way meant to be "official" or in academic lingo. It's meant for me to quickly jot down my ideas and it helps when I go back to write the dissertation in the end,