For the upcoming competition a thought occurred to me: what if my partner has large hands? We have not been told who we will be paired with and when I made the gloves with the fabric paint, I made them to fit my hands. So I took what material I had left and made bigger ones that are adjustable with velcro. I have learnt that I never want to try sewing velcro again. It's impossible on my simple sewing machine and I broke three needles when I was trying to sew one strip by hand. I ended up taking them to my mother to sew on her special machine. I used Kevin's hands as a guide and made them slightly bigger. So I hope they are ok!
When my mom was helping she asked me a question. I can't remember what it was now, something about the stitches, and I told her "it didn't matter". She said "of course it matters, it's a competition". She was always very competitive when I was dancing. The next day it got to my head and I started perseverating over the one FSR that just never worked. I thought I had the resolve that I would not take apart the GLOBE to work on this FSR and I would wait until I make a new version entirely. There is a risk that I make something else much worse in the process of taking the GLOBE apart and putting it back together again to fix this one little inconvenience.
Well... I took it apart so there is no going back now.
For the life of me I still could not find a short in the circuitry that would cause those two FSRs to bleed into each other. So, I adapted the Arduino Sketch to include pin A2 on the LIS3DH, soldered a resistor to it and the other necessary connections, and tested this with one of my spare FSRs. This work around works so far. So now I just need to disconnect the actual FSR and re-connect it to this new circuitry. Then ground the loose connections from the old circuitry for this sensor. And of course pray that everything else works the way it should and nothing explodes. I guess I take more risks while under pressure with a deadline. It would be nice to have all 16 FSRs available though once it's done!
This is why learning to design and custom order a PCB is one of the first things I plan for the next GLOBE; to minimizing headaches from things shorting.
Leave a Reply.
If you are looking for a summary for my Masters thesis, it is here.