I finally figured out how to solve the problem of Max messing up the sensor data stream through serial! What it was, was one of the [zl group] objects needed a larger number as its argument.
Now I just need to come up with a demo and make it completely wireless!
Since I am no longer allowed to invite people to play my instrument, and I am going to have to do my performance online, I may change it so I can collect audience feedback from the online viewers.
I added sugru to the stand so it is easier to slip paint chips underneath the colour sensor.
If you are looking for a summary for my Masters thesis, it is here.