More updates and gloves!
I'm basically improving as much as I can without having to actually build a new GLOBE. Then onwards to making my next piece! I taped an adhesive sheet to the bottom of the new spinning stand to give it some grip.
I soldered in the replacement FSR. I also extended a couple power wires that were being strained. There are several wires that are too long now, but that is better than too short and things getting unplugged or damaged.
I also took apart a bag that's fabric is made specifically for fabric paints, and sewed it into fingerless gloves. I got the measurements wrong at first, but I had just enough leftover fabric to get it right. I used one of the failed attempts as a first try at seeing where I wanted to place the colour blobs on them. Then I moved on to add the RGBY paint to the actual gloves that I will be using.
I got more paint chips for using with the stationary, 3D printed stand, because my old ones got ripped a bit. Also I wanted large rectangles with single shades and not little multiple shades on one piece. And lo and behold the RGB colours that I grabbed were not being picked up by the LEDs. This further proves my assumption that the GB paints that I initially tested were not working because the shade of the colour was too dark. The lighter samples of the old paint chips work well. So I need to make another visit to Home Depot to pickup lighter shades. The yellow, purple, and orange chips that I got worked well. Moral of the story, always plan your trips to home depot and bring your previous paint chips with you. Impulse visits to the paint section do not always work out.
There was a bug in the Arduino sketch that was introduced when we first made it so that Max MSP sent brightness values to the ESP (Oct 2021 version). The ESP was refusing to print any data through serial unless it firsts connects to the wireless network. Kevin fixed it. Now it behaves the way it did before where you can easily use either wifi or serial.
Kevin also worked on optimization. Now the loop prints much faster than previously, which is great for musical instruments. https://github.com/CLKo1/GLOBE_esp8266/tree/main/Dec19_2021_NoPass
Leave a Reply.
If you are looking for a summary for my Masters thesis, it is here.