You may have noticed in some of my videos of the GLBE that the last section of LEDs sometimes does not light up. I'm pretty sure that was caused by the connectors I used coming loose. I noticed it when I was first making the GLOBE. I thought I had fixed it, but after it was all assembled I realized that it still wasn't 100% because sometimes that last strip of lights turns on and sometimes it doesn't. So I had purchased some 3 pin JST connectors and replaced those couple of troublesome connections. It was very tricky cause I didn't want to accidentally melt the plastic hamster ball while soldering!
I *think* it might be fixed now. But only way to know for sure it to play with the GLOBE and do lots of spinning/rolling with it.
I was also thinking about the IR sensor again and how to improve it. I have a level shifter and I knew there was a reason why I wasn't using it before, just couldn't remember what. I then realized that the level shifter still needs a 5V source, which the GLOBE does not have. I know that the Wemos D1 has a 5V pin on it, so maybe I'll try it when I start making the next GLOBE. I have a wemos, but I noticed that it gets very very hot, so I do not trust it. If I do determine that it is better to use that board so that way there is both a 5V and 3V pin I think I would look into getting another one just to see if another would still get too hot. And make sure I order it from a reliable source.
If you are looking for a summary for my Masters thesis, it is here.