I figured out a much much MUCH better way to detect colours with the colour sensor. It turns the RGB data into HSL, and then the H is mapped to MIDI. There are far fewer chance of accidental false readings this way. An updated bpatcher for colour detection is posted to my GitHub: https://github.com/CLKo1/colourdetect-maxmsp
I have an idea of having the different colours on gloves. The thing is the colour sensor does not work with fabric. I had the idea to test 3D fabric paint with it. I remember from my childhood that this kind of paint has a flexible plastic-like texture once it drys. So I went out and got a set of 3D fabric paint from Walmart to test.
The Red works very well! The rest I had to go over them and made the samples larger in size. Then the Yellow worked well. The Blue and the Green definitely showed well inside of Max. But the LEDs did not change colours. So I am going over the blue sample again to make it wider. I also made a lavender/purple sample and a turquoise sample. We will see once they dry if they're okay. If I can get the blue working then I will try green again.
Leave a Reply.
If you are looking for a summary for my Masters thesis, it is here.