I decided I'm fine with the ADXL337. One thing it doesn't show clearly is when the accelerometer is turned all the way upside down. Otherwise it's workable.
I integrated it with the Mux and the TCS34725. When I was testing it, two things that were weird happened.
1) My computer refused to properly upload sketches to any Arduino Pro Mini. I restarted my computer and it then uploaded sketches fine for a little while. But as I was watching it print data, after a little while it stopped. If I restarted the serial monitor, it would start printing data then again it would stop. I tried unplugging then plugging it back in again, and then it stopped properly uploading sketches.
I think this must be something with the FTDI and drivers. I've heard of people having issues with it with Mac. If I can't get it working again, I'll see if I can get it to work on my old Windows computer. But it will take a bit to transfer everything I need onto my Windows to get it going. For now I'm back to testing with my Unos.
2) Max MSP does not like printing out lists from the arduino that are larger than 19. If for example I have the arduino printing a list of 22 bytes, Max would split the list into two: 18 byte list, then 4 byte list. This is not right, especially since the zl object's max list length is 256. I think I'm going to troubleshoot this later because it is much easier for me to fix Max than it is to fix arduino codes. And I still need to finish the Arduino codes.
Edit: I'm not liking the NRF24l01 at all anymore. I just want the ESP8266 to work... if I can only just get it working, then I can go back to the other accel too...
If you are looking for a summary for my Masters thesis, it is here.