The COVID-19 pandemic has officially affected my thesis, my work, and my personal life. Alchemy Festival is cancelled, I am no longer able to have participants test my thesis instrument, I'm working from home for both my TA position and for LabNext, and even if my paper does get accepted to NIME, the university of Calgary has banned all international travel until September (although, that to is likely to get cancelled). I don't know how I'm supposed to do a public performance with my instrument, because that is a requirement for me to graduate. I modeled a 3D printed stand for the ball to sit in, but I don't know if I'll be able to 3D print it. Maybe I can get creative with some paper mache...? I really just need my own 3D printer at this point.
On the bright side, I made some big progress in making my instrument! I successfully got the multiplexer wireless! Now I just need to figure out how to do it for the rest of the sensors.
I used sugru to stick the colour sensor and the IR sensor in place. I glued the battery holders on the back side of the disc. I added a switch so I can turn the LED on the TCS34725 on/off. But it requires taking the lid off of the ball and reaching in to the circuitboard in order to switch it. I also added a couple other things to the circuitboard that I realized I previously missed. I planned out where the FSRs are going to stick to. I measured the neopixel strips more precisely to the ball and planned out how they're going to attach. I got permission to borrow the hot glue gun from work.
Here is where I blog about my progress with my Masters thesis. It is in no way meant to be "official" or in academic lingo. It's meant for me to quickly jot down my ideas and it helps when I go back to write the dissertation in the end,